.

Monday, January 28, 2019

The Host Chapter 20: Freed

Jeb all in allow me cry myself break with turn out interrupting. He didnt comment all by dint of with(predicate) and through the fol pocket-sizeding sniffles. It was only when Id been completely silent for a expert half hour that he spoke.Still awake in t present?I didnt answer. I was too such(prenominal) in the habit of silence.You want to let out here and stretch? he offered. My sanction is aching on the nose deliberateing about that stupid hole.Ironically, considering my week of maddening silence, I wasnt in the mood for company. only if his offer wasnt single I could refuse. Before I could think about it, my drop deads were pulling me through the exit.Jeb was sitting with go across legs on the mat. I watched him for about reaction as I move out my arms and legs and rol take my shoulders, however he had his eyeball closed. want the time of Jamies visit, he go toed asleep.How long had it been since Id go outn Jamie? And how was he at present? My already in the buff heart gave a painful weensy lurch.Feel better? Jeb asked, his eyeball opening.I shrugged.Its issue to be okay, you k instantly. He grinned a wide, face-stretching grin. That stuff I said to J argond Well, I wont say I lied, exactly, because its all true if you look at it from a certain angle, moreoer from an different angle, it wasnt so much the truth as it was what he needed to hear.I good stared I didnt gain a word of what he was saying.Anyway, Jared needs a function from this. Not from you, kid, he added quickly, but from the situation. Hell gain some perspective maculation hes aside.I wondered how he mindmed to know exactly which words and phrases would cut at me. And, more than that, why should Jeb care if his words hurt me, or restitutionbalance if my back was aching and throbbing? His kindness toward me was f officeening in its pro exam way because it was incomprehensible. At least Jareds actions made sense. Kyles and Ians murder attempts, the doctors c heerful zeal to hurt me-these behaviors also were logical. Not kindness. What did Jeb want from me?Dont look so glum, Jeb urged. in that respects a bright side to this. Jared was being real pig qualifyinged about you, and now that hes temporarily out of the picture, its bound to moderate things more light.My eyebrows furrowed as I time-tested to decide what he fee-tailt.For example, he went on. This space here we prevalently use for storage. Now, when Jared and the guys possess back, were going to need some limit to vomit up all the stuff they bring home with them. So we might as swell up find a young place for you now. Something a little wideger, maybe? Something with a bed? He smiled again as he dangled the carrot in front of me.I waited for him to snatch it away, to tell me he was joking.Instead, his eyeball-the color of faded blue jeans-became in truth, very gentle. Something about the expression in them brought the lump back to my throat.You dont incur to go back i n that hole, honey. The beat out parts everyplace.I found that I couldnt doubt the earnest look on his face. For the second time in an hour, I put my face in my business deals and cried.He got to his feet and patted me awkwardly on the shoulder. He didnt seem comfort equal with tears. There, there, he mumbled.I got control of myself more quickly this time. When I wiped the loaded from my eyes and smiled tentatively at him, he nodded in approval.Thats a girl, he said, patting me again. Now, well break to hang out here until were sure Jareds really kaput(p) and flush toilett catch us. He grinned conspiratorially. Then well have some funI remembered that his idea of fun was usually along the lines of an armed standoff.He chuckled at my expression. Dont worry about it. While were waiting, you might as well get word to get some rest. Ill bet even that skinny mattress would know delightful good to you right now.I looked from his face to the mat on the adorn and back.Go on, he s aid. You look a a resembling(p) you could use a good sleep. Ill keep watch over you.Touched, spic-and-span moisture in my eyes, I sank down on the mat and laid my bye on the pillow. It was heavenly, patronage Jebs calling it thin. I stretched out to my full height, organiseing my toes and reaching out with my fingers. I heard my joints popping. Then I let myself wilt into the mattress. It felt as if it were hugging me, erasing all the sore spots. I sighed.Does me good to see that, Jeb muttered. Its interchangeable an itch you cant scratch, knowing someone is suffering under your own roof.He eased himself to the floor a few yards away and started humming quietly. I was asleep before hed finished the first bar.When I woke up, I knew that Id been solidly asleep for a long time-a longer stretch than Id slept since coming here. No pains, no frightening interruptions. I would have felt pretty good, keep out that waking on the pillow reminded me that Jared was gone. It smooth smelle d same him. And in a good way, not the way I smelled.Back to right dreams. Melanie sighed forlornly.I remembered my dream only vaguely, but I knew it had featured Jared, as was usual when I was able to sleep wooden-headedly enough to dream.Morning, kid, Jeb said, sounding chipper.I peeled back my lids to look at him. Had he sat against the beleaguer all night? He didnt look tired, but I abruptly felt guilty for monopolizing the better accommodations.So the guys are long gone, he said enthusiastically. How bout a tour? He stroked the gasoline slung through a scald at his waist with an unconscious gesture.My eyes opened wider, stared at him in disbelief. A tour?Now, dont turn sissy on me. Nobodys going to bother you. And youll need to be able to find your way somewhat eventually.He held out a hand to help me up.I took it automatically, my head spinning as I tried to process what he was saying. I would need to find my way around? Why? And what did he mean eventually? How long d id he expect me to last?He pulled me to my feet and led me forward.Id forgotten what it was like to move through the dark tunnels with a hand guiding me. It was so uncomplicated-walking barely took any concentration at all.Lets see, Jeb murmured. perhaps the right wing first. Set up a decent place for you. Then the kitchens He went on planning his tour, continuing as we stepped through the narrow crevice into the bright tunnel that led to the even brighter voluminous style. When the sound of voices reached us, I felt my mouth go dry. Jeb unbroken right on chatting at me, either missing or ignoring my terror.Ill bet the carrots are sprouted today, he was saying as he led me into the of import plaza. The light blinded me, and I couldnt see who was there, but I could feel their eyes on me. The jerky silence was as ominous as ever.Yep, Jeb answered himself. Now, I always think that looks real pretty. A nice leakage green like that is a treat to see.He halt and held his hand out , inviting me to look. I squinted in the direction he gestured, but my eyes kept darting around the room as I waited for them to ad ripe. It took a moment, but wherefore I adage what he was talking about. I also saw that there were maybe fifteen population here today, all of them regarding me with inimical eyes. entirely they were busy with something else, too.The wide, dark square that took up the center of the big(a) cavern was no longer dark. Half of it was fuzzy with spring green, equitable as Jeb had said. It was pretty. And amazing.No wonder no one stood on this space. It was a garden.Carrots? I verbalize.He answered at normal volume. This half thats greening up. The other half is spinach. Should be up in a few days.The people in the room had gone back to work, still peeking at me now and then but mostly concentrating on what they were doing. It was easy enough to understand their actions-and the big barrel on wheels, and the hoses-now that I recognized the garden.Irrig ating? I whispered again.Thats right. Dries out pretty quick in this heat.I nodded in agreement. It was still early, I guessed, but I was already sweaty. The heat from the intense radiance overhead was stifling in the caves. I tried to examine the crownwork again, but it was too bright to stare at.I tugged Jebs sleeve and squinted up at the dazzling light. How?Jeb smiled, seeming thrilled with my quirk. Same way the magicians do it-with mirrors, kid. Hundreds of em. Took me long enough to get them all up there. Its nice to have extra hands around here when they need cleaning. See, theres only quaternion small vents in the ceiling here, and that wasnt enough light for what I had in mind. What do you think of it?He pulled his shoulders back, proud again.Brilliant, I whispered. Astonishing.Jeb grinned and nodded, enjoying my reaction.Lets keep on, he suggested. Got a lot to do today.He led me to a new tunnel, a wide, naturally shaped tube that ran off from the big cave. This was ne w territory. My muscles all locked up I moved forward with stiff legs, change posture knees.Jeb patted my hand but otherwise ignored my nerves. This is mostly quiescence accommodate and some storage. The tubes are closer to the surface here, so it was easier to get some light.He driveed up at a bright, slender crack in the tunnel ceiling overhead. It threw a hand-sized spot of white onto the floor.We reached a kind fork-not really a fork, because there were too many tines. It was an octopus-like branching of passageways. third gear base from the left, he said, and looked at me expectantly.Third from the left? I repeated. Thats right. Dont forget. Its easy to get lost around here, and that wouldnt be safe for you. Folksd just as in short stab you as send you in the right direction.I shuddered. Thanks, I muttered with quiet sarcasm.He laughed as if my answer had delighted him. No point in ignoring the truth. Doesnt stir it worse to have it said out loud.It didnt cod it better, either, but I didnt say that. I was beginning to enjoy myself just a little. It was so nice to have someone talk to me again. Jeb was, if zipper else, interesting company.One, devil, three, he counted off, then he led me down the third hallway from the left. We started passing round entrances covered by a phase of makeshift doors. Some were curtained off with exerciseed sheets of fabric others had big pieces of cardboard duct-taped together. One hole had two real doors-one red-painted wood, one white-haired metal-leaning over the opening.Seven, Jeb counted, and stopped in front of a smallish circle, the tallest point just a few inches higher than my head. This one protected its privacy with a pretty jade green screen-the kind that might distinguish the space in an elegant living room. There was a pattern of cherry blossoms embroidered across the silk.This is the only space I can think of for now. The only one thats fitted up decent for human habitation. It will be empty for a few weeks, and well figure something better out for you by the time its needed again.He folded the screen aside, and a light that was brighter than that in the hallway greeted us.The room he revealed gave me a strange feeling of vertigo-probably because it was so much taller than it was wide. Standing inside it was like standing in a tower or a silo, not that I had ever been in such places, but those were the comparisons Melanie made. The ceiling, twice as high as the room was wide, was a maze of cracks. Like vines of light, the cracks circled around and just about met. This seemed dangerous to me-unstable. But Jeb showed no fear of cave-ins as he led me farther in.There was a double-sized mattress on the floor, with about a yard of space on three sides of it. The two pillows and two blankets twisted into two separate configurations on either half of the mattress made it look as if this room house a couple. A thick wooden pole-something like a rake handle-was prepare horizontall y against the far groyne at shoulder height with the ends lodged in two of the Swiss cheese holes in the rock. Over it were draped a handful of T-shirts and two pairs of jeans. A wooden stool was flush with the wall beside the makeshift clothes rack, and on the floor beneath it was a rush of worn paperback books.Who? I said to Jeb, whispering again. This space so obviously belonged to someone that I no longer felt like we were alone. that one of the guys out on the raid. Wont be back for a while. Well find you something by then.I didnt like it-not the room, but the idea of staying in it. The presence of the owner was strong despite the simple belongings. No depend who he was, he would not be happy to have me here. He would hate it.Jeb seemed to read my mind-or maybe the expression on my face was short enough that he didnt have to.Now, now, he said. Dont worry about that. This is my house, and this is just one of my many guest rooms. I say who is and isnt my guest. Right now, you are my guest, and I am offering you this room.I still didnt like it, but I wasnt going to upset Jeb, either. I vowed that I would disturb nothing, if it meant sleeping on the floor.Well, lets keep moving. Dont forget third from the left, seventh in.Green screen, I added.Exactly.Jeb took me back through the big garden room, around the perimeter to the diametrical side, and through the biggest tunnel exit. When we passed the irrigators, they stiffened and turned, afraid to have me behind their backs.This tunnel was well lit, the bright crevices coming at intervals too regular to be natural.We go even closer to the surface now. It gets drier, but it gets hotter, too.I noticed that almost immediately. Instead of being steamed, we were now being baked. The air was less snug and stale. I could taste the desert dust.There were more voices ahead. I tried to steel myself against the inevitable reaction. If Jeb insisted on treating me like like a human, like a wel tot up guest, I was going to have to get used to this. No reason to let it make me nauseous over and over again. My stomach began an unhappy rolling anyway.This ways the kitchen, Jeb told me.At first I vista we were in another tunnel, one crowded with people. I pressed myself against the wall, onerous to keep my distance.The kitchen was a long corridor with a high ceiling, higher than it was wide, like my new quarters. The light was bright and hot. Instead of thin crevices through deep rock, this place had huge open holes.Cant cook in the daytime, of course. Smoke, you know. So we chiefly use this as the mess hall until nightfall.All conversation had come to an abrupt halt, so Jebs words were clear for everyone to hear. I tried to obliterate behind him, but he kept walking farther in.Wed interrupt breakfast, or maybe it was lunch.The existence-almost twenty at a quick estimate-were very close here. It wasnt like the big cavern. I cherished to keep my eyes on the floor, but I couldnt stop them from fl ashing around the room. dear in case. I could feel my body tensing to run for it, though where I would run, I didnt know.Against both sides of the hallway, there were long heap of rock. Mostly rough, lofty volcanic stone, with some lighter-colored substance-cement?-running between them, creating seams, holding them together. On top of these piles were different stones, browner in color, and flat. They were glued together with the light gray fasten as well. The final product was a relatively even surface, like a counter or a table. It was clear that they were used for both.The humans sat on some, leaned on others. I recognized the bread rolls they held hang between the table and their mouths, frozen with disbelief as they took in Jeb and his single tour.Some of them were familiar. Sharon, Maggie, and the doctor were the closest group to me. Melanies cousin and aunt glared at Jeb furiously-I had an odd conviction that I could have stood on my head and bellowed songs out of Melan ies memory at the top of my lungs and they still would not have looked at me-but the doctor eyed me with a frank and almost sociable curiosity that made me feel cold deep inside my bones.At the back end of the hall-shaped room, I recognized the tall man with ink black hair and my heart stuttered. Id thought Jared was supposed to take the hostile brothers with him to make Jebs job of keeping me alive s softly easier. At least it was the jr. one, Ian, who had belatedly developed a conscience-not quite as bad as leaving Kyle behind. That consolation did not slow my racing pulse, however.Everybody full so quick? Jeb asked loudly and sarcastically.Lost our appetites, Maggie muttered.How bout you, he said, turning to me. You hungry?A quiet groan went through our audience.I shook my head-a small but frantic motion. I didnt even know whether I was hungry, but I knew I couldnt eat in front of this crowd that would gladly have eaten me.Well, I am, Jeb grumbled. He walked down the aisle betw een the counters, but I did not follow. I couldnt stand the thought of being within easy reach of the rest. I stayed pressed against the wall where I stood. Only Sharon and Maggie watched him go to a big plastic bin on one counter and grab a roll. Everyone else watched me. I was certain that if I moved an inch, they would pounce. I tried not to breathe.Well, lets just keep on movin, Jeb suggested around a mouthful of bread as he ambled back to me. Nobody seems able to concentrate on their lunch. Easily distracted, this set.I was watching the humans for sudden movements, not really seeing their faces after that first moment when I recognized the few I could put names to. So it wasnt until Jamie stood up that I noticed him there.He was a head shorter than the adults beside him, but taller than the two smaller children who perched on the counter on his other side. He hopped lightly off his seat and followed behind Jeb. His expression was tight, compressed, like he was essay to solve a difficult equation in his head. He examined me through narrow eyes as he approached on Jebs heels. Now I wasnt the only one in the room holding my breath. The others gazes shifted back and aside between Melanies brother and me.Oh, Jamie, Melanie thought. She hated the sad, adult expression on his face, and I probably hated it even more. She didnt feel as guilty as I did for putting it there.If only we could take it away. She sighed.Its too late. What could we do to make it better now?I didnt mean the question more than rhetorically, but I found myself searching for an answer, and Melanie searched, too. We found nothing in the sketch second we had to consider the matter there was nothing to be found, I was sure. But we both knew we would be searching again when we were done with this unmindful tour and had a chance to think. If we lived that long.Whatcha need, kid? Jeb asked without looking at him. on the button wondering what youre doing, Jamie answered, his voice striving for no nchalance and only just failing.Jeb stopped when he got to me and turned to look at Jamie. Takin her for a tour of the place. Just like I do for any newcomer.There was another low grumble.Can I come? Jamie asked.I saw Sharon shake her head feverishly, her expression outraged. Jeb ignored her.Doesnt bother me if you can mind your manners.Jamie shrugged. No problem.I had to move then-to knot my fingers together in front of me. I wanted so badly to push Jamies untidy hair out of his eyes and then leave my arm around his neck. Something that would not go over well, I was sure.Lets go, Jeb said to us both. He took us back out the way we had come. Jeb walked on one side of me, Jamie on the other. Jamie seemed to be stressful to stare at the floor, but he kept glancing up at my face-just like I couldnt help glancing down at his. Whenever our eyes met, we looked away again quickly.We were about halfway down the big hall when I heard the quiet footsteps behind us. My reaction was instantaneo us and unthinking. I skittered to one side of the tunnel, sweeping Jamie along with one arm so that I was between him and whatever was coming for me.Hey he protested, but he did not knock my arm away.Jeb was just as quick. The gun twirled out of its strap with blinding speed.Ian and the doctor both raised their hands above their heads.We can mind our manners, too, the doctor said. It was hard to believe that this soft-spoken man with the friendly expression was the resident torturer he was all the more terrifying to me because his out(prenominal) was so benign. A person would be on her guard on a dark and ominous night, a person would be ready. But on a clear, sunny day? How would she know to flee when she couldnt see any place for danger to hide?Jeb squinted at Ian, the barrel of the gun shifting to follow his gaze.I dont mean any trouble, Jeb. Ill be just as mannerly as Doc.Fine, Jeb said curtly, stowing his gun. Just dont test me. I havent shot anybody in a real long time, and I sort of miss the thrill of it.I gasped. Everyone heard that and turned to see my horrified expression. The doctor was the first one to laugh, but even Jamie conjugate in briefly.Its a joke, Jamie whispered to me. His hand strayed from his side, almost as if he was reaching for mine, but he quickly shoved it into the pocket of his shorts. I let my arm-still stretched protectively in front of his body-drop, too.Well, the days wasting, Jeb said, still a little surly. Youll all have to keep up, cause Im not waiting on you. He pedunculate forward before he was done speaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment